Offroad Truck, D, 3 t (Steyr 580 g/4WD)

When the Austrian Army was re-established after WW2 and the occupation period in 1956, the domestic vehicle industry had already started to develop new post-war trucks. Steyr Daimler Puch had introduced its post-war truck line with the Type 370, shortly to be replaced with the first Diesel Type 380 (of which only a small number was procured by the Army). The Type 480 became the first post-war medium supply truck that entered Army service. Over the years, its WD 413 4-cylinder Diesel engine saw several modifications (increasing in power to 95 HP), however the Army clearly demanded a 4WD-version to replace the large number of light and medium US-trucks left behind by the occupational forces.

High-Mobility Truck, 1 t (710 Pinzgauer) Prototype

By the mid-1960s the Austrian Army started looking for a replacement for the aging Dodge light trucks left behind by the US occupational forces upon their departure in 1956. Austrian manufacturers Steyr-Daimler-Puch and ÖAF responded to this request and started development of light trucks with 1 (and later 1-½) ton payload. While ÖAF based their development on a downsized version of their heavy truck family, Steyr decided to expand its well-proven light Haflinger high-mobility vehicle with its central tube chassis. The two resulting vehicles were the ÖAF 2-90 „Husar“ (see also the history of our Husar on this homepage) and the Steyr-Daimler-Puch Pinzgauer, and first prototypes were tested by the Army starting in 1966/67.

Truck, D, 3 t (Steyr 380)

Immediately after reforming the Austrian Military in 1956, plans started to replace the motor vehicles left behind by the allied occupation forces with Austrian-manufactured equipment. The Steyr truck plant had already commenced manufacturing of the light Steyr 2000 A truck in 1945 – mainly from existing parts stock – and in 1947 they presented the Steyr 370, the first new truck model after the war. It was powered by a V8 gasoline engine, however the urgent need for re-motorization of the country made fuel economy not too much of an issue. Just one year later however, Steyr’s new WD 413 4-cylinder diesel engine was introduced in the new Type 380.

High-Mobility Tractor, D, 75 t Tow Capacity, Dual Cab, Dual Winch and Loading Crane, Gräf & Stift ZAFD 230

After 1956 the newly formed Austrian army was equipped with only a small number of light tanks, which had been handed over by the departing occupation armies (predominantly the American but also the Soviet forces). For road-transporting these tanks the army had to rely on American heavy transport equipment still dating back to WW2 (M19 with Diamond tractor/trailer and M25 with “Pacific” tractor/trailers), which was targeted for replacement by Austrian-produced systems by the end of the 1950s.